By Gilbert Harman, Ernest Lepore
This spouse brings jointly a group of prime figures in modern philosophy to supply an in-depth exposition and research of Quine’s wide effect throughout philosophy’s many subfields, highlighting the breadth of his paintings, and revealing his endured value today.
- Provides an in-depth account and research of W.V.O. Quine’s contribution to American Philosophy, and his place as one of many overdue twentieth-century’s so much influential analytic philosophers
- Brings jointly newly-commissioned essays by means of prime figures inside modern philosophy
- Covers Quine’s paintings throughout philosophy of common sense, philosophy of language, ontology and metaphysics, epistemology, and more
- Explores his paintings in terms of the origins of analytic philosophy in the USA, and to the background of philosophy extra broadly
- Highlights the breadth of Quine’s paintings around the self-discipline, and demonstrates the ongoing effect of his paintings in the philosophical community
Read Online or Download A Companion to W. V. O. Quine PDF
Best history & surveys books
Rebirth of worth: Meditations on good looks, Ecology, faith, and schooling [Paperback] [Jan 01, 1991] Turner, Frederick
Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph Von Schelling (1775-1854) used to be a colleague of Hegel, Holderlin, Fichte, Goethe, Schlegel, and Schiller. continuously a champion of Romanticism, Schelling encouraged a philosophy which emphasised instinct over cause, which maintained aesthetics and the inventive mind's eye to be of the top worth.
- Nietzsche and modern German thought
- In Defense of an Evolutionary Concept of Health: Nature, Norms, and Human Biology (Ashgate Studies in Applied Ethics)
- La filosofia dai Greci al nostro tempo. La filosofia contemporanea
- Meditations First Philosophy
- The American Evasion of Philosophy: A Genealogy of Pragmatism
- Investigations into the Origin of Language and Consciousness
Additional info for A Companion to W. V. O. Quine
1989). Scientific Rationality as Instrumental Rationality. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 20(3), 377–384. Goodman, Nelson (1983). Fact, Fiction, and Forecast. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. R. (1965). Newton’s First Law: A Philosopher’s Door into Natural Philosophy. In R. ). Beyond the Edge of Certainty (6–28). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. Harman, Gilbert (2001). General Foundations versus Rational Insight. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 63(3), 657–663.
The term “rational reconstruction” is apparently due to Carnap (1928), who wrote there of rationale Nachkonstruktion. ” (1988). 13â•… Again, Kim (1988) is both representative of and influential in propagating such an understanding. 14â•… For criticism, see Kelly (2003), and also the exchange between Leite (2007) and Kelly (2007). 15â•… ”Some years ago I was struck by the large number of falsehoods that I had accepted as true in my childhood, and by the highly doubtful nature of the whole edifice that I had subsequently based on them.
Testability and Meaning. Philosophy of Science 3(4), 419–471. Carnap, Rudolf (1937a). Testability and Meaning (Part 2). Philosophy of Science 4(4), 1–40. Carnap, Rudolf (1937b). The Logical Syntax of Language. London: K. , Ltd. Carnap, Rudolf (1950). Logical Foundations of Probability. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Carnap, Rudolf (1963). Intellectual Autobiography. A. ). The Philosophy of Rudolf Carnap (1–84). LaSalle, IL: Open Court. Foley, Richard (1987). The Theory of Epistemic Rationality.
A Companion to W. V. O. Quine by Gilbert Harman, Ernest Lepore